A full narrative history section
The Galena Marine Hospital was created to care for sick and injured sailors and riverboat workers traveling the inland waterways of the United States. Galena was one of the busiest river ports on the upper Mississippi River system during the middle of the nineteenth century. Steamboat crews faced boiler explosions, collisions, injuries, and serious illnesses such as cholera, malaria, smallpox, and yellow fever. Local leaders began petitioning for a marine hospital in 1844, but the project did not move forward until Congressman Elihu B. Washburne successfully secured federal support during the 1850s.
Construction began in April 1857 on approximately eleven acres overlooking the Galena River. The building was designed by federal architect Ammi B. Young, who also designed the United States Custom House and Post Office in Galena. Ely S. Parker, a Seneca engineer who later served on the staff of General Ulysses S. Grant, supervised the construction. Parker would eventually help prepare the formal surrender documents at Appomattox Court House. The hospital was completed in October 1859 at a total cost of more than fifty thousand dollars when the land, furnishings, and fencing were included.
The hospital was an unusually advanced building for its time. Its thick brick walls contained air spaces that helped regulate temperature and moisture. Cast iron beams supported vaulted brick ceilings, while an ornate iron staircase decorated with whales and seashells extended from the basement to the belvedere. Wide verandas surrounded the building, and approximately one hundred windows provided light and ventilation. The hospital included patient wards, bathing rooms, a dispensary, offices, living quarters, a kitchen, a laundry, and cisterns capable of holding thousands of gallons of water.
The hospital began receiving patients around the beginning of the Civil War, but it never reached its anticipated capacity of forty to fifty people. Forty-one patients were treated and released during its first year, and the number declined afterward. The Civil War disrupted traffic on the Mississippi River, while low water levels and sediment made the Galena River increasingly difficult for large vessels to navigate. Railroads also began replacing steamboats as the primary method of transporting people and goods. After approximately six years of service, the hospital officially closed on December 31, 1866, and its remaining patients were transferred to Chicago.
The former hospital became the Northwestern German English Normal School in 1868 and later operated as the German English College until the school moved to Iowa in 1891. The building subsequently served as a private residence, a medical factory, the Nash Sanitarium, a tourist camp, a summer resort, and a hotel. During the twentieth century, several owners attempted to restore or redevelop it, but many plans were never completed. Its original porches and belvedere were removed during an unsuccessful apartment conversion in the 1950s. After decades of vacancy and deterioration, the surviving landmark became the focus of renewed preservation and rehabilitation efforts.
